First Half Marathon

I ran my first Half Marathon, and my first ‘running’ competition this past Sunday.  It was a lot of fun and completely different from anything I have done before.  Each sport truly has its own vibe and culture, and Runners are certainly unique.
      Race day began like any other ‘race day,’ early.  This was going to be a point-to-point race and the finish line was literally in my home neighborhood of Imperial Beach.  To accommodate the logistics of starting and stopping in different locations, the race organizers offered shuttle buses to anyone who wanted to park at the finish and commute to the start in Coronado.  I took advantage of this free service and found myself sitting on a bus with 75 strangers at 0530.  The bus was packed and yet there was very little conversation happening.  Maybe it was because it was still dark or just that it was so early.  But, when we got off the bus 30mins later in Coronado and the sun was up, it was still very quiet.  Runners are not big talkers.  Everyone was friendly.  It was a road cycling outing that’s for sure. But it also wasn’t the Tri community I was used to.  Regardless of who you are or how long you’ve been in the sport, triathletes will talk to anyone and everyone about triathlon...especially on race day!  These runners, however, were quiet, reserved and completely independent.  Sure, some people were collecting with their friends, but there wasn’t a lot of mingling taking place.  Just a lot of isolation.
      The other unique feature I noticed prior to the start of the race was how many women were competing.  I would later find out that the race almost 49/51 (m/f), but from my vantage point prior to the race, the majority were women.  This is great, but also unique.  Road cycling is dominated by men, and I believe the most tri races are 60/40 (m/f), at best.  As I guy, I didn’t feel out of place that morning, but I also knew that I was in the minority that day.  Not a problem or something that needed corrected, but I noticed that this was different compared to the other races I’ve competed in.
      So, I found myself alone that morning before the race began and tried to make the most of it by ensuring I was both hydrated and 'alleviated' properly.  I slowly sipped down a bottle of Nuun and used the 'head' three to four times before all runners were called to the starting line.  Occasionally, while waiting in line for the port-o-potty, I would try to make conversation or joke with my fellow runners, but no one was having it.  There were no rude or offensive looks or remarks from anyone, it was just that no one wanted to talk or engage with anyone else.  I've heard that running is really all about the mental 'zen,' and maybe that's true.  It was for Forrest Gump.
      When it did come time to line up, I just jumped in line.  There were signs for different pacings/finishing times, but I wasn't interested in that.  I knew that I would finish somewhere between 90-100mins, so I just lined up and got ready to run.  And next thing I knew, and without much build up, the race was off!
      I tried to quickly find my pace and not get sucked into a sprint, but it was difficult not to go fast as I try to work my way through the initial field.  Because I just jumped in line, I was with in with the masses moving at much slower speeds than I was looking to pace.  But as I dodged my way forward, the traditional 'mini-race' soon occurred in my wake.  The people I was passing simply to clear, would get anxious and attempt to follow me, and/or the people I was attempting to pass would feel threatened and begin to speed up.  These 'mini-sprints' always take place in every sport, and they can be super frustrating for everyone.  But, I didn't allow myself to get off pace, and eventually I found myself alone, out front, and still on pace within the first 2miles.
      The majority of the race was just that...holding my pace, alone, and slowly moving closer and closer to the lead group.  I felt good and the miles were going by pretty quickly.  Having frequent aid-stations also helped, but I only used two of them between the Start and mile 8 (once for water and the other for electrolytes).  The temperature was perfect with clear skies and low/mid-60s.  I was running in my tri kit, race belt and ball cap.  I thought the ball cap would bother me, since I NEVER run in a hat, but I never noticed it.  What I did notice, however, was my tri kit chafing the hell out of every crease in my body.
      I chose to run in my tri-kit, because it has never given my any problems in all my previous races and long training runs.  But, today, it was a nightmare.  Maybe I had lost some weight, or maybe it was because I didn't put the body glide on, which I do for my Tri races...but whatever the reason, I was in discomfort from mile 4 on.
       As the race drew closer to a close at mile 9, I noticed that the race changed.  First off, we were now running neighborhood streets as opposed to long highway that composed the previous miles.  The confined atmosphere and short turns makes you run differently.  Some people will slow up, while others will speed up.  This led me to begin running with others for the first time...and, again, mini-sprint competitions began to take place. I refused to get sucked in!  But, at the time same time, as the race miles hit double-digits, the true race really began.  Everyone was suddenly a lot harder to catch, and people who I had never seen before started coming up on my rear-view.  Mile 11 to 12, seemed like an eternity and I felt every muscle in my body pulling oxygen!
      As I came around the last corner and into the 'home stretch,' I found myself neck-neck with another male racer.  For whatever reason, and whenever this is the case, I always talk to guy and give motivation.  So, I said to him, "Alright, man.  Home stretch.  You ready to go?"  And like all the others before him, he responded with, "Absolutely. Lead the way." So, I did.  I hit the gas and sprinted the last 200meters, all the while screaming at the guy next to me to not fall back and to keep pushing.  And guess what?  They all keep up, push every last effort out of both of us, and almost always thank me at the end.
      I finished the race at my expected time and feeling really good, except for the chafing.  I could barely walk due to the pain between my legs and under my right arm.  I tried to find my wife who was suppose to be waiting for me at the finish line, but after a brief glace, I decided I would find her at home.  I was done.  I grabbed a bottle of water and walked home to shower and get out of that tri kit.
      Once cleaned up, I walked back down to the Finish and checked my times against the group.  Not bad.  I didn't podium, but I wasn't expecting to. My times were respectable and almost exactly what I was hoping for.  I walked away having enjoyed my first Running race and learning a lot in the process.
      Runners are unique and this is a good thing.  Like I shared above, the entire day I was alone, but so was everyone else.  This event wasn't as much a competition as it was an event for personal satisfaction/accomplishment.  Road cycling races are ALL about winning.  Tri races are all about personal bests.  I got the feeling from this race that Runners race simply because they like to run.  That's cool with me.  I think running, more than the other individual sports, really does allow the most opportunity for introspection.  You can 'zone out' while swimming and cycling, but it's harder and most people can go as long as is needed in those sports to truly 'zone out' and allow their inner-minds to rest or find peace.  While I didn't fall in love with running events after this experience, it certainly caused me to be even more likely to encourage others to sign up for a run.  The atmosphere was so individual and non-competitive that I think almost anyone could benefit from participating. 
I still love triathlon. I simply need a little more complexity in my racing. I like the details and complexity of triathlon.  I also like having 'gear' involved.  I will certainly do another running race again in the future, but mostly to supplement my triathlon training.
      A huge THANK YOU must be given to all those who made my first  Running race so exceptional and 'easy.'  PULSE ENDURANCE - my team, my friends, and the best local endurance shop in all of SoCal.  It is an honor to train, race and build our sport(s) together.  KOZ Events - you are the biggest and 'best' "little fish" out there.  Your events are not only consistent and an incredible value, but the dedication of your staff/volunteers makes your organization rival all the national organizers.  Everyone should race KOZ Events!!  STAGES Power Meters - yes, a bicycle tool made a huge impact on my running.  Having a power meter on my bike has taught me how to hold steady power, regardless of how I feel, for long periods of time.  Running and cycling are different and they use different muscles.  But, both are controlled by the same mind and body.  Stages makes the most accurate and affordable power meters on the market, at that quality.  If you run, then you need to cross-train.  Cycling with a power meter should absolutely be a consideration in your training!

Comments