Cannondale CAADX Ultegra (2016)

Long Term Review: I originally purchased this bike on 1May2016, and since then have logged over 10k miles on road, gravel, dirt and singletrack.  I believe that I can say with confidence that I know what this bike is capable of, and what I believe are its best applications and qualities.

First off, 'Why did I buy this bike?"
I live in SoCal.  I hate traffic and I love cycling.  Therefore, I have chosen to commute to work everyday via my bike.  My commute is pretty simple, but it covers a lot of diverse urban terrain.  Portions are paved bike path, while other parts are downtown city blocks with potholes capable of eating front wheels and also includes unforeseen obstacles that will test even a ninja's reflexes.  It's straightforward 16-mile 1-way commute, but it's not for the faint of heart.

I tried doing this commute for over a year on my 'built for speed & pristine tarmac' road bike, a Trek Emonda.  But despite getting the fattest tire I could (25mm) and running tubeless ($200 down the drain), I was destroying the bike, my body and my wallet with new tubes, tires, wheels, hubs, etc.  The frame of the Emonda is rock solid, but the lack of suspension/flex means that all of those bumps, poundings and road hazards have to be absorbed somewhere else.  I loved commuting, but I didn't love the experience I was having with that bike.  I needed something better.  Something durable, but also FUN.

After looking at a lot of 'Commuter' specific bikes, I knew that was not the category of bikes I, personally, should be looking for.  They have fat and durable tires and wheels, but they are also very heavy, have a vertical positioning, and looked like they needed a basket and coffee cup holder on the handle bars.  I wanted something race-y and fun, and something that wouldn't require me to grow facial hair and wear skinny jeans.  I needed a 'Cross bike!

Being a Trek fan, I checked out the Boone and the Crockett, but they were just a modified Domane, and they weren't very comfortable to ride.  With a couple of modifications to wheels and tire sizes, they maybe could have become more comfortable, but the models with any decent components were already way outside my budget.  I next looked at Specialized and thought the Diverge or Crux could be my next bike.  The prices were reasonable and who doesn't want to own a Specialized?  Answer: This guy!  Despite looking kinda sexy on TV, YouTube and in the hands of professionals, I simply don't like the way Specialized bikes look or perform when I am riding them.  I couldn't get either bike to 'snap' the way I wanted them to.  They felt very unresponsive and rather boring.  Totally subjective critique, I know, but I was not impressed.

Running out of options, I finally considered Cannondale.  In my experience, Cannondale has always been 3rd or 4th choice option.  They are not the sexiest of companies, nor are they always the most relevant.  I guess in television terms, they are like the CW channel.  They've got solid programming, some cutting edge series, but they aren't winning any awards or drawing big names.  However, the Cannondale CAAD series is legendary despite often being overlooked or praised.  Having participated in the local Crit scene, I knew firsthand what CAADs were capable of in terms of both speed and abuse.

The local bike shop didn't have any CAADX in store, but they did have several CAADs.  At 5'10" and 170lbs, I perfectly fit most 56cm road bikes.  But, when I jumped on a 56cm CAAD, it felt way too big. This was especially true in terms of reach/top tube.  It felt long and upright like so many other enduro bikes, and wasn't snappy or aggressive like I wanted.  We tweaked with the stem, seat, etc. but it wasn't improving anything.  It was then suggested that I try a size smaller, which seemed improbable given my size.  But, man, oh man, was the 54cm frame fun and fit like a glove!  Despite the CAADX having slightly different specs than a traditional CAAD, I ordered the CAADX Ultegra right then and there.  It arrived 5 days later, which could not have come soon enough.

Initial Specs and Impression.
The CAADX sports Cannondale's infamous(?) BB30, an FSA Gossomer crankset, with a almost full (-crankset) Shimano Ultegra groupset.  It also comes equipped with Shimano's hydraulic disc brakes.  Being a member of the DoD, I love the CAADX Ultegra's paint scheme, and so do all my DoD buddies. Jumping on the bike for the first time, it felt perfect, light, solid and fun.  Being my first time using disc brakes, I was amazed at the grip and responsiveness of the brakes.  I never complained about rim brakes, but once you go disc, you will forever notice the difference between the two.  The bike came with a pair of Schwalbe Rapid Rob tires, but I knew they were not going to work with the terrain I was going up against.  Nevertheless, even with their small and abundant bumps, the wideness of the tire provided a noticeably smooth ride across all types of pavements and dirty terrain.

Above all, I love this bike because of how it feels when I was ride it.  I feel aggressive, sporty, and ready to rock.  I do NOT feel like I am about to go ride for a loaf of bread, sightsee on a group ride, or pedal in a parade.  For me, this bike calls for spandex!

Making it 'My Commuter'
After purchase, I immediately swapped out the Rapid Robs tires for a pair of WTB 32mm Slicks with puncture guard.  They cost me $25/each from Performance Bike, and I get 3k miles out of them with very few flats.  I run 60-65psi, which, for me, feels perfect.

I choose to go with Crank Brother's Candy1 pedals, and have absolutely no regrets.  With a 100% first-attempt clip-in rate, the ultimate ease in unclipping despite not having an adjustable tension screw, and the amount of abuse I put these pedals through on a single 1-way commute, I could not be more impressed with this pedal set.  NOT A SINGLE ISSUE, crack or fail.  And despite their small size, they still provide ample power transfer and remain attached at immense pressure, sprints, or fits of panic.  I love these pedals!

The only other modification I have done to this bike is a saddle swap.  The Fabric seat was fine for the first two months, but after I started getting into triathlon, I fell in love with short nosed saddles.  I now rock a Specialized Power Comp saddle (143mm) and I love it!

The Perfect Commute for Me
Without a doubt, I can say that this bike is the perfect commuter for me.  I currently have over 10k miles on this bike, have owned it for 18-months, have raced this bike in the outrageous Belgian Waffle Ride ('as is,' including the same WTB Slick tires), and have been in multiple collisions with this bike and cars with stupid drivers (4 total).  The frame is perfect (routinely inspected by LBS), the wheels are still true (!), and I continue to match or beat the Strava times I set on my Emonda.  This bike is a TANK that performs like an Acura (not going to go so far as to say a Ferrari).  It is a complete joy to ride, outperforms my fellow road bike commuters, handles all types of terrain, and has not worn out either myself or its components.

Yes, I still get flats, but they are few-and-far between and they are not like other flats.  The flats I get with this bike have only come from Goatheads (thorns from hell) or metal wire threads, which, chances are, you will never have to deal with unless you live next to a machine shop or metal recycling factory.  However, in either case, the puncture is so small, that all I have to do it apply a patch to the tube and ride away.  I am still riding on the same tubes that came with the bike after 10k miles!! I credit both the tires and the wideness of the tires (lower pressure) that this bike allows as the reasons for this success.

I think this bike is an absolutely marvelous commuter and joy to ride.  Is it perfect?  No.  It needs thru-axles, but that would be my only complaint...and I've thought long and hard about this for a very long time.  I'm still not a Cannondale fan, but they sure got this thing right.  If want to have RELIABLE fun on your ride, whether that is commuting through downtown, taking a dirt trail or embarking on a singletrack challenge,  you can ride with confidence knowing that your CAADX will get you there in one piece.

Comments