Trek Emonda S5 (2015) Review

I race and ride, and have been doing so for years. I know the weight difference between the S series and the SL, SLR. I know about Ultegra and Dura-Ace. You DON'T need those. What you need is quality, confidence and adaptability. This is what the Emonda S5 offers in spades!!!

The bike is fast and agile. You can climb all day and never feel the weight or drag of this bike. Likewise, when you hit the descents or the flats, the bike will go, handle and respond to whatever and wherever you point it. The frame is a solid '10!' Yes, it is very, very stiff, but that is where you get speed, responsiveness and light weight. You will feel every bump, rock, or gradient in the road...but that's not why you are buying this bike (Buy a DOMANE if you want and endurance and comfort bike). BUY THIS BIKE FOR SPEED, ATHLETICISM and ASCENTS...and because it is wicked FUN!

Regarding the group set and components: its the 11-speed Shimano 105. It is marginally heavier than the Ultegra series, but costs less while still delivering precision and consistent shifting. Don't buy into the 'group set' hype. The 105 is the best buy!

Ok, the Bontrager wheels are horrible. There is no saving grace here. They are horrible. Do NOT waste your money attempting to go Tubeless. I know they wheels claim to be TLR (and they are), but they leak...badly! I wasted hundreds on new tires, rim tapes, sealants and more for over 6months. The wheels NEVER sealed. The seat post is also rather dull and heavy, but I'd rather save money on the total bike purchase than pay more for a better seat post that would only offer marginal gains in comfort.

My only other gripe is that the matte black paint is easily scuffed and the wiring DOES ear down the paint on the tubes (head, top and down). My old Madone came with clear tape )helicopter tape) back in the day to prevent such, but Waterloo seems to have forgone this practice to save a buck. (Spend the dollar, Waterloo!)

I love this bike. I ride 55miles a day, commuting through downtown San Diego, bike paths, beach fronts, and desert sierras. I LOVE THIS BIKE! It is everything great about TREK and why I am so loyal to the brand. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

Note: I first purchased this bike in July 2015 and have been riding it almost everyday since.

Comments

  1. Thats a great review. I feel like I've been honestly informed. I think I'll buy one. Yep, first bike, maybe crazy but I want to try this go fast on a light thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just picked this bike up from a friend, and cant wait to try it out and ride this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment