Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 Fluid Trainer




I have own several fluid trainers, and I like them.  In late 2016, I fell in love with triathlons, and knew that I wanted to keep racing in as many as I could.  I also learned very quickly that triathlon racing requires intentional training to not only be competitive, but also to avoid injury.

As I looked at my 2017 racing calendar, I planned on racing several Olympic distance races and chose my “A Race” to be the IM 70.3 North American Championships in St. George, UT.  To get me physically and mentally ready for these races, I signed up with TrainerRoad and adopted their various training plans for all of my race prep. This would mean that all my cycling training would be done indoors on a stationary trainer throughout the entire racing season. Whoa.

Prior to all of this, I had been rocking rainy days and parental ‘babysitting’ obligations on my Elite fluid trainer.  It was my first fluid trainer and was still going strong. I knew it was a mid-level trainer, but it never failed me, was quiet, and felt smooth and consistent during my rides.  However, as I considered how much time and demand I was going to be spending on the trainer for my 2017 season, I began to investigate if a higher-quality trainer was needed.

Starting at the top-tier, I looked at all the cool direct-drive trainers with their precision power meters, Smart technology and magnet power.  Man, they looked cool and would sync perfectly with TrainerRoad.  But, then I looked at the price tag. NEXT!

Moving down from the top, I discovered that I was not the only one put off my the direct-drive price tags. Apparently there are enough sane and responsible parents in the world that trainer manufactures have taken notice and produced “Jr” versions of their ultra models.  This category also offers “smart’ technology, but is ‘wheel on,’ not at precise (+/- 3-5%), and often a lot noisier or troublesome.  At the time of my investigating, this group of trainers was suffering the worst of reviews from early consumers.  All of this, combined with a price range that I was still not comfortable with ($600-$900) , caused me to keep looking down the line.

In the middle of the trainer market ($300-$500) there is a blurred line between high-end fluids and entry-level electronic magnet trainers.  The electronic options at this price point are often loud, fragile and lack internal power meters.  The fluid options, however, are well-built, offer refined performance ‘feel,’ have large flywheels, and come with big-name endorsements.  I couldn’t care less about the endorsements (not entirely true, I do kinda care), but I really care about consumer reviews.  Despite the price gaps, the technology, or the branding, the types of trainers that drew the most consistent praise were the direct-drive elite models and the high-end fluid trainers.  More than hype, consumers routinely commented on the consistent performance and ‘feel’ these trainers provided.  There wasnt an abrupt power curve or jump in performance during long or intense sessions, and the units didn’t  present structural failures after months of abuse.

As stated previously, my Elite fluid was now 12-months old and still performed like it did on day 1.  However, for all the praise I could offer, I still knew that the performance ‘feel’ was not very road like, and that under intense intervals (sprint or threshold) there were subtle, yet noticeable, spikes/drops in smoothness.  If I was going to up my trainer game through TrainerRoad and my busy race schedule, there is a good chance that my Elite trainer might not make it through the season. Perhaps one of these higher end fluid trainer was, in fact, warranted.

Why the Kinetic Road Machine 2.0?
When I discovered that I needed (wanted) a new fluid trainer, it ultimately came down to just three different models: CycleOps Fluid 2, the Kinetic RM Fluid 2.0, or the Kinetic Rock’n’Roll.  I loved the idea of bouncing around on my trainer and carving out my abs, but the Rock’n’Roll is a big jump in price, takes up a lot of real estate, doesn’t travel well, and ultimately only got mediocre reviews on its signature feature.  It’s resistance and flywheel, however, are the very same ones used in the RM 2.0.  So, it really came down to choosing between the CycleOps or the Kinetic RM, which is not easy to do based off of web reviews or price.  The price between the two units is almost identical.  They even seem to go on sale at the same time!  Regarding reviews, it seems that everyone has their favorite based on what they already own.  But, when I considered the factors that actually make a difference to me, the clear winner between these two machines is the Kinetic RM.

Bigger Footprint...when Setup
The Kinetic is made from a wider gauge tubing, and leaves a bigger footprint.  This is important for stability, both while you are riding and when you are really riding during those sprints, out of the saddles, or power efforts.  On my Elite Fluid, there are times when I make the machine 'hop' during hard efforts.  It's not smooth, throws off focus, and can be dangerous for me and the bike frame.  You want a steady platform at all time.  However, this large and steady based during use virtually disappears when folded down for storage or travel.  The trainer and my road bike fit in my sedan's trunk and/or under my bed or in a closet.  I've even stored it in my tiny Navy office at times.  WIN!

Super-big flywheel
There is no comparison between the Kinetic's flywheel and the CycleOps.  This larger flywheel not only aids in a smoother power curve, but in the 'feel' that the machine transmit through the tire and bike.  A trainer's 'power curve' is the estimated power (watts) that it takes to reach a particular speed (mph/kph) during use.  A 'good' power curve is one that is smooth and gradual without any noticable jumps or spikes.  Most fluid trainers have relatively equal curves, but a larger flywheel generally results in an even smoother curve.  This is noticeably true on the Kinetic.

Additionally, and (I think) more importantly, a larger flywheel generally results in a more realistic 'road feel' when riding.  Please don't believe the marketing hype.  Sadly, NO trainer is ever going to really feel like a ride on the road.  Deal with it.  But, when comparing trainer 'feel,' there is a difference between units and getting 'close' to road feel.  The smoother the power curve, the smoother ride, and, in turn, the more realistic the ride when compared to the road.  Test a cheap lightweight trainer against a larger unit like the Kinetic RM and you will immediately know what I am referring to.  The large flywheel of the Kinetic makes a difference and puts it in a class of its own!

Quality
At the time of purchase, there were a couple of reviews of the CycleOps citing fluid leaks.  These were few and far, but there were several mentions, whereas, the Kinetic had no quality claims against it.  (FYI: In almost every case re: CycleOps leaks, CycleOps fixed or replaced the unit without hesitation and without further complaint.  It also appears that leakage is no longer an issue with recent CycleOps Fluid trainers.  I would not hesitate to buy a future trainer from CycleOps based on their customer service.)

12-Month Review
So, after buying my Kinetic RM and using it to log over 5k miles (which is a lot for a trainer) in a sweaty, salty garage by the ocean, I can declare with confidence that this machine is phenomenal!  The machine still looks and performs as good as it did out of the box.  There is no visible wear/tear to any part of the machine, and absolutely no loss in performance from fluid breakdown. (Think of the oil in you car.  Heat and use cause it to break down and loose viscosity over time.  This has not happened to my unit, yet.)

The machine hasn't wavered under all the operational stress I've leveled at it.  Sprint efforts, 2hr sessions, FTP tests, and out-of-saddles attempts at 'saddle mercy,' and the machine has been as solid as a rock.  NEVER has the machine jumped or skipped under load or my 165lb body frame.  Total confidence to focus on my ride, and nothing else.

Salt and sweat destroy everything....everything!  Despite fans, towels, and spray bottles after sessions, I have lost lots of components and paint finishes to the elements.  Again, it happens; especially, to cheaper materials.  My Kinetic looks and feels brand new!  Very, very impressed in this regard, which might be the most important.  If your investment can't withstand the test of time, then who cares how great it is on the showroom, in lab test, or during the first 30-days???

I also have NO regrets in not purchasing a 'smart' or direct-drive trainer.  I have been using the same trainer tire for 2-years, and I already purchased a crank-based power meter for my bike.  The only feature I am missing out on is the 'smart' option.  And, YES, I would love to have the perks that come with ERG and VR cycling 'gaming' (Zwift, BKool, etc.) as a result of 'smart,' I don't need it....and especially not for the extra $500-600.00!  Plus, by not having 'smart,' I have become a smoother rider during training sessions.  Instead of spikes or jumps in my efforts, I can now feel and control what it takes to go up or down in power output.  This matters on race day, people!

I am terribly, terribly impressed with my Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 (2017).  I would absolutely buy it again in a heartbeat.  And, because it is such a quality unit, and with the new cycling season approaching, I have absolutely NO REASON to even consider upgrading or purchasing another unit.  Money well spent, or SAVED in this case!

Comments