Post Ride Thoughts on the Belgian Waffle Ride 2017




An Open Letter to MM and all those who put on the 2017 Cervelo Belgian Waffle Ride:

Cannondale CAADX with WTB Slick 700x32.
No flats.  No falls.
I want to reach out and THANK YOU for putting on the BWR '17.  It was my first time, and it was impressive.

I have done several other cycling events (racing and fondos), and what you are offering is outstanding, unique, and professional.  The initial price tag did give me sticker-shock, but after completing the event, I can say with certainty and a clear conscious that it was well worth it!

With that being said, there are several comments I would like to pass on:
1 - It is hard...and it should be HARD.  I'm 38yr old and in great shape (triathlete).  I found the distance and the majority of the course to be both mentally and physically challenging, but NOT impossible.  This is good and very important, I believe, to the ongoing success and appeal of the event.
Amazing Scenery and Gravel Fire Roads

Full Pre-Race Breakfast!

2 - Perfect Support for Riders - The aid stations were perfectly planned at just the right distances, and they clearly took into account their placement in the 'great scheme' and the toll that a particular segment was going to have on the riders.  The nutrition and variety were also EXCELLENT and the sponsors should be proud and praised.  I will certainly be taking COKE and CLIF products into my race and event nutrition plans, and I will sing those companies praises as a result of all that they did through BWR '17.

Post-Race Dessert Included!



3 - Pre-Race and Post-Race Parties - Again, they were outstanding.  Not merely 'a' waffle, but a complete breakfast offering without end.  Not merely 'a' beer, but several, and a complete meal...with a waffle desert...following.  Everyone was very generous and the quality was outstanding.  Many other race organizers SHOULD learn from what BWR is offering with their entry fees (!).

4 - The Emphasis was on FUN...and you accomplished that. - Sadly, most cyclists are jerks and incredibly serve-serving and praising.  However, at the BWR '17, only a few displayed these characteristics before, during and after the event.  On the course, many gave kudos and encouragement to other rides, including some who were clueless.  At the rest stops, I did hear a single 'bragging' or 'bashing.'  The vibe was mellow and fun.  Please keep it this way...it is not only more enjoyable, but, I believe, more profitable.

5 - There is a difference between Hard and Stupid. - My only complaint is that parts of the 2017 course were, in my opinion, stupid and unnecessary.  I know the emphasis of BWR is to be difficult, unique, and odd.  Mission Accomplished.  However, the 'goat trails' in the last 40 miles of the race were odd and didn't make sense.  Most MTB's would have to think twice before attempting those routes.  Now, I know that, nevertheless, many successfully accomplished these routes on road bikes and completed the BWR '17...but did these parts of the course add or detract from the overall satisfaction, and will they produce a positive summary that riders are going to walk away with and share with others?

Put Your Head Down and Suffer
I know that the most important element in a successful event is REPEAT participation.  Movies don't make money unless people come back a second and third time (regardless of how big opening weekend may have been).  They same is true for all other events (bike, tri, run, etc).  Many of the people I talked to before doing the BWR told me it was a 'once and done' event for them.  They may come back and do the Wafer, but would never really consider the larger distance because they felt it was too taxing on body and equipment.  Again, we can call argue that they need to "BTFU;' but, is that true and good business?

May I humbly suggest that you and your team consider less 'goat trails' when planning for the future?  Give me dirt!  Give me fire roads!  Give me elevation, heat, and ridiculous distances...but please consider the larger audience you need to reach and sustain.  I do not want to see BWR peak in the near future and then fade away. I want BWR to be the premier event for North America...seriously.

There is so much about the course and the event (all elements) that were 100% right and amazing, but those 15% goat trails just didn't make sense or have anything in common with the Spring Classics of Europe.

Please accept my highest praise for you, your event, your sponsors, staff and volunteers.  It was an amazing day and I am glad to have been a witness, participant, and finisher in 2017!


Comments

Post a Comment