Elite Fluid Trainer (Power Smart B+)

This is my first foray into turbo trainers.  I live in San Diego and the weather is almost perfect year round.  However, with El Nino this year, I thought it a good idea to look into alternative riding methods.  I looked online, read all the reviews about the different kinds of turbo trainers and was aghast at the prices, and their range!  It also became obvious to me that, like much of the fitness industry, there is a tendency to oversell, over-promise and over-charge in the turbo trainer market.

After doing my homework, I knew I wanted a trainer that was relatively quiet, able to withstand frequent use, and could allow me the option to use it with other, emergent technologies like Zwift.  After all, from what I've read and heard from others, riding a turbo trainer is completely boring and monotonous, and users should not have a history of suicidal tendencies.  This led me to seek out a "smart" fluid trainer, and my local Performance Bike shop was running a holiday sale with 50% off their trainer selection.

I picked up the Elite Qubo Power Smart B+ for a remarkable price, which made me wonder how good the quality was going to be.  Turns out, the thing is remarkable!  I have logged over 100hrs on the machine using my Trek Emonda and the trainer is a rock solid performer.  Nevertheless, there is a couple of things about this product that I do regret.

First, the positives.  Again, this thing is rock solid.  The trainer does not weigh anything significant, but its construction and design make it incredibly stable.  The locking mechanism is easy to adjust and fully embraces the skewer that comes with the trainer.  (However, the factory skewer on my wife's fitness bike fits perfectly.)  There is no need to worry about adjusting the trainer to your tire, because the trainer is designed so that the tire rests naturally against the wheel's "5 o'clock."  This not only saves your tire, but also helps make this particular trainer incredibly quiet.  Again, I have heard horror stories about trainers, which includes how noisy they can be.  Fluid trainers are said to be some of the quietest, but this one is exceptional.  There is only a gentle 'hum' when I ride.

What I regret about this trainer purchase is partially my fault and also the fault of the distributor.  Again, this was my first go at a trainer, and I wanted a 'smart' trainer, which is a relatively new market segment.  Smart trainers are suppose to be able to talk with your computer or other 3rd-party applications via Bluetooth or ANT+.  I watched hours of tutorials on riding with Zwift and other trainer apps, and I was led to believe that, in my particular context, I needed designated 'smart' trainer.  Turns out, however, I didn't.

This particular trainer does not have a built in computer or electronic system but, rather, includes a small sensor that attaches to the back via velcro.  It runs on a 2032 lithium watch battery, which is included.  The sensor pairs easily with my Garmin Edge 1000 or the ANT+ dongle that I attach to my computer for Zwift and other apps.  However, the sensor is impossibly inaccurate.  No amount of fidgeting can fix it; it's just garbage.  But here is the real insult...and this is my fault...because my bike has a power meter crank (Stages) and speed/ cadence sensor (Bontrager DuoTrap), I didn't need the mini-computer that came with this trainer.  I could have bought any 'dumb' fluid trainer and it would work with perfectly with the apps I would want to use.

Other things to note about this particular trainer is that (a) the fluid reservoir gets pretty hot after an hour of riding.  This is insignificant because most people would never touch it, but since I have kids and a pet, I find this vitally important to know.  Plus, I'm prone to curiosity...and I touched it after my first use.  (b) This trainer is very kind to tires.  I've been told that if your serious about indoor riding, then you should buy a designated trainer tire.  I did, but it did not arrive until my second week of indoor training.  My junky Bontrager road tire showed no excessive wear despite the heat and friction associated with the trainer.  This is because of the design setup and the quality roller of this particular trainer...it's just that good. (c) The trainer can take amazing use!  Not only do I use this roller excessively, but so, too, does my wife with her road bike.  I put a red trainer tire on her rear wheel and we are experiencing the same success.  This is a great trainer at an amazing price, especially on sale (which it often is at performancebike.com).

Once again, don't buy the marketing hype.  Yes, buying 'no name' products can be a costly mistakes, but I've found such experiences to be the exception.  I know that "Elite" is a reputable brand, but it is not Cycle Ops, Wahoo!, Kinetic, or one of the other brands heralded by the marketing bike gods.  Save your money; spend what you need to wisely, and consider an Elite Fluid Trainer...without the Smart B+ sensor, of course.




Comments