SBT GRVL (Black Course) 2021

I've been riding gravel events since 2017.  I was an early adopter of gravel specific bikes, rides and events, and living in San Diego I wasn't alone.  I did the BWR in 2017 and was hooked on big gravel events.  When I heard about SBT GRVL in 2019, I had to be a part in 2020.  Sadly, we all know how that went.

With my entry deferred to 2021, I was 2xs more excited and made this my "A race."  I did the BWR San Diego in July and used it as a gauge for my SBT GRVL fitness one month later.  Traveling to races is not cheap or easy, but I was really excited to experience this race with all its hype and beauty.  The promo pieces, route reveals, and communication from SBT GRVL was on point!!  

I arrived in SBT on Thurs, with the race being on SUN.  I used Bike Flights and my bike arrived a head of me right on time to a local bike shop.  Everything was tracking on schedule.  MOOTS put together a shake out ride for THURS and I "won" that group ride.  No, it was not a race, but the guys at the front were definitely measuring.  Riding on 32mm Gravel Kings was the right set up and the elevation was having no effect on power or recovery.  I rode again SAT morning with a few Pro riders and was feeling great during their efforts and course recon through the gnarly cow creek section.  I was pumped for Race Day.

Race Day happened.  Getting to the pointy end of "my group" took a lot of effort at the beginning.  The mass start was just that: massive.  It was hard to start at the front and even harder to get there once the race started. I burned some matches but managed to find to find my pace group before leaving the first major gravel sections.  The key to these long events is to NEVER ride alone.

The power stayed strong all race, but at mile 100 my mental power started to shake.  The back half is not as pretty as the front half with lots of rollers that never seem to end or go anywhere. My group began to break HARD.  I ended up riding 10miles almost solo till the next aid station.  I would never ride alone again!

My new group informally formed leaving the aid station and we held it together for the next 20miles...and then it was back to those evil rollers.  Again, people cracked, but I refused.  I married myself to one other dude and we exchanged pulls at all costs.  The miles actually began to fly by again and we were now entering the final climb before cow creek and the ride home.  It was also at this point that the clouds got really dark and heavy...

Bombing down cow creek, I pulled away from my friend, started passing others and was feeling the elation of being almost done.  I was all set to get and 8hr finish time...and maybe even beat the rain!!  But, then...for the first time ever in any event...I dropped a chain.  In fairness, I was flying and cow creek is not smooth.  The rocks are significant river rocks.  Amazing how a simple 30sec stopped can literally have a multiple miniute impact.  The loss of momentum was significant, but I was almost back on the final pavement segment back to the start/finish.  Gone was my sub-8hr finish, but maybe I could still get close!  Legs were still feeling good!!!

I kid you not, as soon as I turned on to the pavement, it started to rain...and then it poured.  I mean it poured rain with all the wind the Rockies could muster.  Those last 5miles were miserable, but it also fueled the passion to get it over with.  I could barely see.  The roads were slick.  I was shivering.  I crossed the line in 8hr 13min, but there was no fan fare or elation.  Everyone was hiding from the rain and I wanted to join them.

After the rain blew through and I got out of my wet kit, I wondered through the finish area.  Proud of my finish but without anyone to celebrate with.  SBT is a race without a race. While trying to not only be a race, it fails to adequately celebrate the accomplishments of its participants. The post-race atmosphere was subdued and many were asking if it was worth it. I don't know.

What i can say is that my power and training were on point!  My Stages power meter was flawless on event day and the two years leading up to it. I'm glad I raced this iconic event and can move forward in pursuit of other big rides.

Comments