Ironman Indian Wells 70.3

I had such high hopes going into this event.  It would be my last planned event for a LONG time, and I had an incredible experience at my last 70.3 back in September.  I thought for sure that I would be able to not only match my previous results, but improve upon them by a solid 5mins.  Well, that didn't happen, but I still had a great race and loved ALMOST every minute of it.
    I have raced in Palm Springs for the last two Decembers under the HITS brand.  2016 was my first year participating in triathlon and HITS Palm Springs was my second triathlon and first time doing the OLY distance.  I had such a great time and loved the venue that I committed to come back each year and race December in Palm Springs.
   However, when I returned in 2017, things were not as they should have been with the race organization.  The HITS price was still friendly and the course was almost identical, but the attendance was significantly low and it felt like a 'club race' more than an invitational or professional event.  The run course changed the morning of for no apparent reason, and there wasn't much support in any regards.  After that race (which I placed 2nd AG), I didn't write off returning to Palm Springs to race, but I did have doubts if it was even going to be an option.  And then IRONMAN appeared.
   I know that IRONMAN is an evil empire, but says 'who?'  While other organizers and races are drying up or struggling to find an identity, Ironman is buying races and adding new one along with thousands of new and returning racers.  Seems to me that they are doing the very thing our sport needs to do, and the very things we, the racers, want them to do in regards to their quality and race support.  Ironman is an empire because it is successful.  That's not 'evil.'
   Without even looking at the race courses or details, I signed up for Ironman Indian Wells 70.3 as soon as I could and never looked back.  In fact, I never even read the Athlete guide until 4 days before the race.  OK, this was a mistake, but I had that much confidence in Ironman and my previous experience racing Palm Springs (Indian Wells).  I knew how to train, what time to arrive and what the weather and conditions were going to be like.  I was ready, and I was excited to race the moment I arrived in Indian Wells the day before the race.

   Race Day started with a lot of excitement and a pretty good breakfast of pasta and chocolate milk 2hrs before the start.  Ironman shuttled all the athletes to the lake and I nursed a 20oz bottle of NUUN while I tried to stay calm, warm, and light in my bowels.  The weather was absolutely predictable: 50ish degs and clear with low humidity.  The water temp was also normal at 52deg F.  While others were nervous or anxious about the water temp, I wasn't because these are the same conditions I raced in the past two years.  My only fear was the same one I get at every race: What if my goggles fail or fog?  Despite all the research, sprays, and techniques I have been afforded, nothing seems to prevent fogging when the water temp is that cold.  But maybe this year would be different?  I believed it would be.

   When the canon finally went off, and the rolling start line began, I was positioned near the front, just in front of the 30-35min swim grouping.  In a pool without a wetsuit, I can do this distance in about 35mins, and my last two 70.3 swims were 31min and 35mins.  I thought this was the right place to be and hoped to exit the pool at about 34mins.  Well, that didn't happen.
   Within 100m of the swim, my goggles went to hell.  They fogged something terrible.  But, what was worse, was that my swim felt stagnant.  I literally felt like I was not moving, despite having good mechanics.  It was a lake, so I couldn't blame the current.  Something just didn't feel right, but what could I do?  Like Dory, I just kept swimming.
   The first 25% of the race was headed West, away from the rising sun, but the middle 50% was pure horizon.  Add to the blinding sun the moisture in my lens and I was damned.  I swam off course twice because I could not see either the bouys or my fellow competitors...and those I could see were as lost as I was.  It was the blind leading the blind.
   Exiting the swim, I felt really good.  I wasn't tired or cold, but I knew that I had fallen into a distant group.  The initial excitement of the crowd was gone.  I grabbed my bike gear bag and got out of my swim gear fairly quickly.  But, it took me a minute to repack all that swim gear in my Bike Bag.  I knew it was a longer transition than normal, but, under the circumstances of having to repack a bag, I figured everyone would have a longer T1.
  Out on the bike course, I felt great, especially the first 5miles.  I wasn't cold and I wasn't hungry.  I was passed by a few guys early, but I passed way more than passed me.  It can be mentally hard passing people on the bike.  On one hand, you feel awesome passing people, but then you remember that they must have killed you on the swim if they are this far ahead of you!
   The blessing and curse of this particular bike course was that it was a point-to-point. There wouldn't be any laps or even a middle turnaround.  90% of the course would be 1-way trip.  This is great because once you are constantly moving toward new scenery and closer to your goal (something laps can detract from).  But without laps, it can be hard to pace or maintain consistent fueling.  My plan was to fuel every 14miles and drink 2 bottles over the 56miles (have one done by 28miles and enter T2 empty).  This was a solid and proven plan for me, but wasn't easy to execute on this particular day.  I wasn't hungry. I wasn't thirsty. But, I knew I had to do eat and drink, so I forced it. This was OK.  I didn't get sick, but I also didn't feel replenished at any point.  In fact, I felt empty the whole bike ride.
   I looked at my Garmin time going into T2 and felt pretty good about my bike split.  I had not memorized by previous 70.3 splits, but I knew I wasn't far off of a 'good' performance.  But, I had to pee.  Like, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY had to pee.  I hit T2 with the expectation that I would not start my run until I used the port-o-potty, and fortunately, there was one just outside of T2 at the start of the run.  I released a LOT of liquid and it took a while, but there was nothing I could've done differently here.  I had to get it out or there was NO WAY the run  would've happened.
    Now, I can't remember where the T2/Run timing mat was located, but I didn't start my personal run timer until AFTER I cam out of the toilet.  I felt a lot lighter, but I didn't feel 'strong' or fast.  In fact, I felt anxious the first 2 miles of the run.  The course was OK, but being on a golf course, there were a lot of little rolling pitches (short steep inclines) and windy turns.  It was nice, but also a little mentally draining.  I hit every hydration station, alternating between water and Gatorade.  I didn't feel overly hot, but at mile 4 I poured a water over my head and my body went into shock.  Apparently, I WAS HOT.  I took this as a sign that I needed to be like Patrick Lange and intentionally stay cool to finish the run upright.
   Going into the second run lap, I still didn't feel great, but I didn't feel like quitting either.  The distance between miles 6, 7 and 8 felt greater, and I had to walk, shuffle up some of the inclines, but I descended all the hills with momentum and carried it as far as I could.  I took a gel and alternated Red Bull into my fueling after mile 8 and through mile 10-11.  I ran a solid pace all the way to finish, which rather quickly.  I knew my overall time wasn't going to be great, but I had done my best all the way and crossed the line with a giant smile.
  Unfortunately, once I crossed, grabbed my Finisher hat and medal, and kissed my wife, I did turnaround and look at my finishing time: 5:01:XX.  Darn it.  Not only was it longer than my last 70.3 in September, but I failed to finish in under 5hrs. Dang it.  I was bummed...and I still am.  But, so what?  Crap happens.
   My goggles failed.  I didn't 'bust it' through my transitions.  I should have fueled better on the bike and run.  Lessons learned.  But, I didn't fail.  I didn't quit.  Yes, others were faster than me...in fact, 260 people were faster than me, and 34 men ages 35-39...but, whatever.  This is not why I race.  I race because I love racing.  WINNING IS AWESOME, but RACING is still RACING even when you finish outside of your expectations.
  Ironman did an incredible job organizing this race.  It was great in every regard.  I can't say I will be back in 2019, but that is the Navy's fault and no one else's.  Ironman Indian Wells 70.3 deserves to be on everyone Destination Race list!

Comments