Week in the Mountains (MTB)



Triathlon will always be my discipline of choice, but I cannot deny that MTB is perhaps my favorite way to ride a bike.  There is just something about being completely removed from society and infrastructure, and then being totally amazed at the engineering and skill it takes for a bike to safely deliver you across mountains, rocks and anything else.  Every ride leaves me speechless and wanting more.

This past week, I was blessed to be able to do a LOT of mountain biking.  It all started with my first-ever MTB “race” in Big Bear.  I use quotes because, while it was a timed event, I was almost completely going into it with the simple goal of finishing before the time cut off.  I know that I have a lot of endurance, power, and speed, but I also know that I am a ‘rookie’ when it comes to all things mountain bike.  I had no idea what to expect in regards to terrain, race format, bike performance/mods, or anything else for that matter.  I went into the event almost completely blind, and I paid for it, a little bit.

Following that amazing event and accomplishment, the family and I continued north to our favorite retreat: Mammoth Mountain.  As a family, we go for the woods, hiking and time together; but, individually, the boys and I go for the opportunity to mountain bike on perfect pumice among the big trees, big views, and legendary trails.  It’s no Whistler, but it’s as close as we are going to get in California.

Despite rain and the preference for ‘family time.’ I was still able to get rides in most afternoons.  The lifts were closed for the season, but I didn’t care (too much).  Mammoth has a dedicated route up the mountain that takes a lot of the sting out of the climb and get’s you to several connecting trails.  It’s a great warm up and reminds me of WHY I love mountain biking.  It’s not the bombing or thrill seeking; it’s the beauty of riding a bike. 

Swimming and running are great, but there is nothing like riding a bike. It’s silent and efficient.  It lets me accomplish incredible things and go incredible distances under my own power and ability.  My bike reminds me better than any other discipline of what I am capable of.  Some might argue that running would be a better indicator of such since in cycling it’s all being done a machine.  I understand this argument, but it misunderstands what I mean by “capability.”

I can technically run anywhere as long as I am able and willing, but I will always be limited by immediate proximity.  If I go for a long run, I am proud of my accomplishment, but when I look at the route, distance, speed, etc. its nothing I hadn’t already experienced or had access to. But, because cycling involves a machine, with gears, wheels, etc., the realm of where that bike can take me (or better yet, WHERE I CAN TAKE THAT BIKE) is expansive and greater.  Which is more amazing (subjective question): I ran 26.2 miles around my city, or I biked 90miles to the next couple of towns, grabbed a coffee, ascended and descended a mountain, and snapped some amazing memories on my phone?  Bikes are amazing!

It is also for this reason that I love mountain biking: the machine and terrain make it possible for me to it with my kids and others at various skill levels.  Newton’s law of gravity is real.  Yes, tires and skill are a factor in ascent/descent times, but only marginally, especially at my level.  Being in the wilderness alone with my kids and our bikes is hard to explain.  It’s simply magical.  The quietness, scenery, combined with the amazement when we/he/they bomb a trail, hit a jump, or even wipeout, all contribute to feelings and memories that transcend the moment or any physical element.  Mountain biking connects me on a deep level with my kids; I can’t deny it.  The social aspect of cycling is unparalleled, and the particulars of mountain biking make it, perhaps, the most social of all cycling styles.  Further proof of this is what happened after our time in Mammoth.

Before arriving back home, I got an invite to ride some dirt with a local friend and group he was putting together.  I knew I would be baked from the week of riding, driving, and vacationing, but I also knew that riding with my friend while a little fatigued would be infinitely better than saying No and missing the opportunity to ride, learn and connect.  So, I said Yes to an early morning Saturday ride around Eastlake with some local legends.  However, much like my experience at the Big Bear race, I was completely naïve as to what this group ride would actually entail.  I got hammered in every way(!), but I also had an unforgettable time and made a dozen new friendships that will afford me even more opportunities to learn, grow and socialize for years to come.  This is what cycling does, and what mountain biking does in spades!

I love riding my mountain bike.  I reminds that I am ‘human’ and what that really means.

Comments